It’s Okay To Play (With Yourself)

It’s Okay To Play (With Yourself)

Did you know that May is National Masturbation Month? 

No, nor did I until about 10 minutes ago, but you wouldn’t would you. Masturbation still seems like an incredibly taboo topic of conversation and you certainly wouldn’t be discussing your self-gratification routines with colleagues over lunch in the office. The general population wouldn’t dare talk about it and a lot of people still wouldn’t admit to doing it, but why not? That’s what I want to know.

Masturbation is a perfectly normal thing yet we still feel like we’re walking on eggshells when we even begin to think about doing the deed. I am, however, pretty pleased that society (or I’m guessing a sex toy website upping their marketing game) has decided to celebrate masturbation this month, as it works as a crucial reminder that self-satisfaction is a perfectly healthy past-time enjoyed by the masses (no matter what porkies they’re telling you!) In fact, did you know that over 89% of people actually admit to masturbating, so it’s safe to assume that the other 11% are complete liars.

Playing with yourself is nothing to be ashamed of, and don’t forget that we all do it because it feels good. Hell, these days, you don’t even have to go so far as to using your hands the ol’ fashioned way. You can nip down to your nearest Ann Summers and treat yourself to a whole range of toys to assist you and by God, they are worth the investment.

Whether you’re male or female, there really is no need for stigma anymore (or in fact ever) when it comes to masturbating. Think of it this way, if you play with yourself, you begin to find out what works for you (because let’s face it, everyone’s different) so knowing what pushes your buttons can really up the quality of your sex life, ultimately guaranteeing a climax very time – bet you never thought about it like that eh?

I guess a lot of people are fine with doing it (behind closed doors I truly hope) but there is still an awkward silence between close friends should the subject arise and this simply shouldn’t be the case. Who knows, one of your pals may have discovered the best sex toy since life’s bread – surely you’d wanna know about that?! A casual conversation over cocktails may prove to beneficial to all and let’s face it, sex chat with your mates is always a barrel of laughs!

So c’mon, don’t sweat the small stuff, it’s time to be a little more selfish and a lot more satisfied. Touch it, tease it, work it, please it, and give yourself that happy ending you truly deserve, and I solemnly swear you will not go blind. 

love naomi



  1. May 4, 2016 / 5:46 pm

    Very sober article about a pleasurable endeavor. Masturbation is a great topic with a girls’ night, preferably after a cocktail or two, because even though we are all different, it’s is wonderful to share tips and inspirations. The inspiration is what gets me rocking, whether is a fantasy rooted in reality or not, a stunning picture, or (my favorite) a little erotica. Oleana

    • May 5, 2016 / 7:56 am

      You’re so right Oleana! It’s so good to share things with friends, especially when it comes to breaking comfort zones!

  2. May 4, 2016 / 6:39 pm

    Reasons why masturbation is great:
    1. It’s the safest sex
    2. It’s a stress reliever
    3. It helps you sleep
    4. It has a lot of the same benefits as doing kegels (strengthen muscle tone in the pelvic and anal areas)

    What’s not to love?

  3. May 4, 2016 / 11:39 pm

    I talk about it often, and openly, with just about anyone!
    I also do it, often, and openly, with just about anyone!

  4. Mads
    February 22, 2018 / 9:35 am

    Hey Naomi I was just wondering what age is it okay to masturbate? I’m 12 about to turn 13 and I feel kind of like I’m doing something bad or really wrong. Should I stop or talk to my mom about it?

  5. Michael Stanish
    September 11, 2019 / 11:58 pm

    I masturbate all the time I do it because it feels good I also play with myself two and I’m 28 I been playing with myself since 18 and masturbation two it’s perftley normal to do this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *